Thursday 29 November 2012

Red onion, cheese and herb bread

My house smells so good this evening, I think I could sell it.

Of course, my landlord might object to that...

Ingredients :
4 cups plain flour
1 sachet of yeast
1 red onion
A bit of cheddar cheese
A dash of oil - olive or rapeseed
Selection of herbs, I used oregano and basil

Method:
Mix the yeast with one cup of flour and leave in a covered bowl for two hours
Add the rest of the flour and mix well, then knead the dough for a few mins
Leave the dough to rise - hot press is the perfect place for this
Every couple of hours knead it a bit and put it back
Fry the onion and grate the cheese, add these to the dough along with the oil.
Shape into a loaf or two loaves and allow to rise once more for an hour or so before baking at 190c for approx 40 mins

Eat as soon as it's cool enough to slice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment